We lost whole of bio diversity, plants, animals, insects, mammals, birds reptiles, water bodies, forest, wetlands, grasslands in last about 100 years, equivalent to the losses beginning from the human civilisation history, which is more than about 10000 years.
Every day 3species of plants/animals/insects/birds/reptiles are lost FOR EVER
Every year 35 million hectors of native forest is lost from mother earth equal to the size of Nepal.
We lost about 1/5 of coral reefs, ½ of wetlands, 1/3 of mangrove forest, and still couting…..
In India the ecological loss is ever increasing in last about 100 years and forest cover is diminished from 70% to less than about 16% and countless loss of biodiversity.
However instead of only taking negativity and gloomy mindset, out the prevailing situation, it was felt that something concrete must be done and that too IMMEDIATELy to restore the ecological imbalance.
Dr. Prof V. D. Varak (renowned botanical scientist & Director Vidnyanvardhani, Pune), Shri Y. G. Jadhav, Director General of Forest, Maharashtra, (Retired), Shri. Atmaram Joshi, Vice-Chancellor, Rahuri Agricultural University (Retired), Dr. Gopalkrishnan, Vice-Chancellor, Akola Agricultural university (Retired), Shri Dhirendra Prayag, Gazetted Officer, Maharashtra (Retired), Shri Dixit a tree lover, Shri Dhirendra Prayag (Advocate), C.A. Shri Gadgil, Shri P. T. Pandit (Agricultual and cooperative movement expert) collective founded Maharashtra Vruksha Samvardhani in the year 1989 to do everything possible in the field of forestry and biodiversity.
Afterwards continuously various allied activities were undertaken by the organisation.
In 1989-90, organisational activities include plantation of trees in various schools, colleges at DRDO, Tapovan (Alandi), Bharati Vidyapeeth etc. In 1990-91, a program called ‘Vruksha Chhaya’ was implemented in coordination with Dist collector Pune and Shri Vasudeorao Khadilkar, for plantation of trees on route of Palkhi from Alandi to Pandharpur.
In the years from 1991-2000 various activities were undertaken which includes (1) Participation in research papers on Scared groves and forestry with Marathi Vidyan Parishad, Pune
(2) Indigenous trees plantation at various places such as Siddabari, Alandi, Kirloskar Oil Engines Kirkee, Prabhat Road, PMC Gardens.
(3) Half day work workshops on identification and introduction to native plants on Pune hills and various Gardens of Pune.
(4) Lecture of social forestry and workshop in Sambhajibag on Nursery Techniques , continuous liaisoning with PMC authorities for plantation activities at various places
(5) Arranging series of Meetings with officials of Adharkar Institute and other experts on the subject on the issues of threatening situation of Devarais in Maharashtra.
(6)Dr. V. D. Vartak was felicitated by PMC and awarded ‘Vruksha Ratna’ in the year 1994. A certificate under section 80 G was received from Income Tax authorities. Participation various flower arrangements programs with wild variety of flowers.
(7) A programme was organised with the help of BAIF, Pune named as National Environment Awareness Campaign (NEAC)
Year 2001 to 2010
(8) A lecture series to pay tribute to Late Dr. V. D. Vartak who passed away in the year 2001.
(9) Participation in Samarth Bharath Abhiyan organised by Pune University by plantation trees in Pune university campus and at other places in coordination with NSS activities of colleges.
(10) A Garden was created and was named after renowned botanical scientist and founder member of MVS, Late Shri V. D. Vartak near Omkareshwar Mandir, Pune, briefly mentioning the contributions made by late V. D. Vartak on the cornerstone of the Vartak Udyan.
(11) Series of meetings with the Promotors and Builders Association of Pune for plantation of indigenous tree verities on the construction sites. Program about Neem tree awareness with the rural connect.
(12) Tree plantation activity at ILS Law College, Bhusari colony, Vartak Udyan, Botanical Garden Fergusson College, Pune.
(13) A special program to celebrate 20th anniversary of the MVS. It was presided over by Hon. Shri Suresh Prabhu Shri Mahanji Dhariya and Shri Jadhav Shri P. T. Pandit were felicitated for their contribution in the field of Tree world.
Year 2011 to 2016
(14) A special program of lecture series for a week, was organised in Mahatma Phule Museum from 2011 to 2015 on topics like
‘Ecology of Ocean and Sea Shore,
Everything on ‘Mighty Himalaya’,
‘Water Resources ecology and Water Pollution’ ,
‘History, Cultural and Biodiversity in and around Pune’,
‘Bio diversity, flora and fauna, civilisation of Western Ghats’ etc, and which were attended by a large number of experts and nature lovers and the programmes were well received and published by the press and e-media.
(15) Various two day workshops in last five years on ‘Gardening and Terrace gardening’ duly attended by more than 200 participants in all
(16) ‘Mission Devarai’ one of the most ambitious programmes, ever undertaken by MVS to protect and foster the Devarai (ancient forest) or sacred grove. A long March on Motorbike, from Pune to Goa was organised, as a part of awareness campaign. It was flagged off by Hon Shri B. N. Alias Babasaheb Purandare. Also a two day workshop was organised, at S. M. Joshi auditorium on the subject of ‘Various Aspects of Devarai’, duly attended by Experts in the said field from all India ranking.